7.18.2010

Mass Effect ... The movie!

So I recently found out that there is a Mass Effect movie in the works. Yay? I really hope so. I was highly disappointed in "The Last Airbender," a show that I absolutely adore that was torn to shreds by M. Night Shyamalan. I haven't seen the movie, no, because I refuse to see it. But I've read plenty of reviews and heard from a few fans of the show how bad it is. I'm sure I'll eventually see it when it comes out on DVD or Netflix, but I won't be paying $10 to see it in theater.




Anyway, Mass Effect! According to IGN, the guys from Legendary Pictures who produced The Dark Knight and Spider-Man will be taking the reigns of this film. That's a plus. And also the writers from the games will be helping out with the production. Another plus, yay! There's a few other guys I don't really recognize helping out, but that's good I don't recognize them. I'm so worried that Michael Bay is going to end up directing this and it will just be EXPLOSIONS and possible jokes involving where Garrus' genital fits into his suit. Or worse, as my husband and a friend pointed out, Uwe Boll. Let's pray for Christopher Nolan to join the team and direct the movie. 


It will be interesting to see how they go about writing the film. With all the different choices with the paragon and renegade sides of the game, they will have to figure out a way to make everyone happy without taking too much away from the game and straying from the storyline. What would make sense, to me anyway, would be going mainly with a paragon route, with a bit of renegade choices in the mix. And live action, for sure. Completely CGI I think would be too boring and too much like the game, and a cartoon would be awful. Of course, it will also be in 3-D because EVERYTHING has to be in 3-D now-a-days.


Whatever decisions are made, it looks like we won't be seeing a Mass Effect movie for a few more years yet. For fun, I decided to pick my own cast for the movie. Who would you pick?


Shepard - Jennifer Hale (I want a female Shepard!)
Kaiden - Sam Witwer (Or Sam Witwer as the male Shepard)
Garrus - Brandon Keener (It has to be him, even if someone has plays in the suit, it HAS to be his voice)
Ashley - Ashley Greene (But it will probably end up being Michelle Rodriguez, and since she seems to always die in her movies, we'll know who Shepard choices to save if she's cast.)
Captain Anderson - Morgan Freeman! (He always seems to work as the mentor who goes above and beyond to help the hero)
Liara - Ali Hillis (Another from the original cast.)
Tali - Liz Sroka (Again, she needs to do the voice, I can't see it any other way)
Joker - Seth Green (Really only picked him because well, he does the voice well and I can only imagine it as him)


I've seen comments of people suggesting Channing Tatum as Shepard and Megan Fox as Ashley, which makes me cry inside. I really couldn't stand Tatum in the G.I. Joe movie and I think his acting is really bland. Fox doesn't seem to me as an Ashley at ALL. Sadly, I think she probably would work as a Miranda, and I really hate admitting that. Oh well, I hated Miranda's face (even though the voice actor who did her is gorgeous) and I hate Megan Fox's face too so it works.


So what's your take: Mass Effect movie good or bad idea?

4 comments:

  1. For Shepard, I'd go with someone older and more experienced, like Gerard Butler. I could see him as Shepard easily. Witwer could pull off Kaiden I think. Garrus? Anyone can do Garrus.. but his voice needs to be Brandon Keener. Ashley should be Missy Peregrym. Dennis Haysbert as Anderson. All others I agree on. If Shepard were female, I'd say Kate Beckinsale or Rhona Mitra. Megan Fox better not be in it at ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, anything with Megan Fox makes me cry inside. Was psyched for Jonah Hex, then..yea, she was in it. But I'm definitely all for a ME movie. If Seth Green isn't in it, I may just refuse to see it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy Peregrym is cute! A friend of mine also suggested Dennis Haysbert as Anderson too. He's the actual voice actor and I didn't realize he was the same guy from Pitch Black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a group to support Brandon Keener as Garrus in the Mass Effect movie here: http://www.facebook.com/Brandon.J.Keener#!/group.php?gid=135586416466333&ref=ts. I imagine there are similar for the other voice actors!

    ReplyDelete